Course Support

Here’s the Fitbit data from today’s long run. Can you spot the miles where I needed to “call” for help? Yep. Miles 11 and 12 were rough.

I was stupid. I didn’t enough breakfast before I got out the door today. I just couldn’t stomach it. That, combined with the fact that I didn’t get as much sleep as I normally do, and my legs were already kind of shot after a long Friday of homecoming shenanigans (where I had 20,000 steps without even working out that day) and a Saturday night of chaperoning a dance (another 17,700 steps),  I hit a rough patch at like mile 10. My stomach started gnawing at me, the course was hillier and hillier, and though I had plenty of water, I had already eaten my way through my energy chews and was fading fast. I felt like doo doo. I started walking and thinking about how far I had to go to get home. I was just so stinking hungry. I texted Dan a plea for nourishment along with a dropped pin of my location and he and Otto came to my rescue with a banana, granola bar, and water. I love those guys. I felt bad because I had kind of worked my way through the rough patch by the time they found me, and was feeling ok again, but I definitely still needed the food. It kept me from completely bonking. I will never leave home with an empty fanny pack again. I really should know better by now. Also, my friend Allison, who is running the Berlin Marathon next weekend, was nice enough to put a cooler filled with icy water, Powerade and pretzels at the end of her driveway, which I was able to access around miles 3 and 14. And I got to bump into her and her husband who were out for their run, so that was a nice boost too. I ran my fastest mile at mile 15 because the stretch of  Donahoo road that leads to home doesn’t have any sidewalks and there was so much traffic coming at me that apparently I was speeding up. I just wanted to get away from the cars. After a shower, some fluids and food, I ended up feeling really pretty good, though not as great as my last 2 weekend long runs have been.


Last weekend was my 13 mile Tour de Piper, where I ran 6.5 miles around the neighborhood, ran over to the middle school for the start of the Community Festival 5k, did the 5k, and ran home. A car load of middle school cheerleaders hopped out of an SUV at one point and started cheering me on, apparently thinking the race had already started, but really I was just some lone nut, wearing a bib number, and out for a neighborhood jog. I told them the race hadn’t even started yet and they seemed disappointed and got back into their car.









The weekend before that was earthquake day, and I ran a really fast (for me) 14 miles down at the Mill Creek Streamway path. Also, Beth came to stay with me and we got to go to Lawrence and see amazing college friends and it was one of the greatest weekends I’ve had in a really long time for reasons I don’t have time to go into right now because I’ve already written too much as it is and am in full-blown run-on sentence mode.img_1122

At some point I’m thinking of trying out a supported group run. I love the idea of someone else putting out water and Gatorade for me on a marked course. What I don’t love, is the idea of getting down to the KC Running Company Store in Leawood by 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday in order to join up with said group run, so I’m not sure if that’s going to happen.

41 days until the Marine Corps Marathon!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s